Malaysian Monday 68: Kaya Puff.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Hi everyone.

Remember my kaya making attempt last week? I thought of a great way to use up some of the kaya. How? By making kaya puffs of course. You’ve heard of curry puffs right? Well, kaya puffs are a sweet version, made with a special flaky pastry.


A long, long time ago, before my blog had any real, actual people reading it, I made some flaky pastry.  While that version worked rather well, the pastry is really meant for deep fried items. Kaya puffs are baked. Luck was with me though, and I found a recipe straight off the bat, over here at My Simple Food.  The puffs on display looked great, with the distinct spiralling found in well-made flaky pastry.

 Notice how I used the words well-made up there? My puffs struggled to show off their spirals, but they tasted so, so good that I forgave them. Seriously folks, this is an awesome pastry and I think it will be my go-to flaky pastry for  baked, sweet items from now on. Does anyone know if this is the same pastry for making egg-tarts? It sure tastes like it.


Rich layers of flakiness on the inside, mmmmm.


And you don’t have to fill the puffs with kaya either. I used jam for the difficult fussy other members of the family, and those went down a treat as well.

Trouble is, I ended up with about 10 small but very rich and moreish kaya puffs all to myself. Hmmm, that exercise in reduction didn’t work very well then!


Jam filled puffs for the non-kaya fans.

To try out the pastry, do head over to My Simple Food. I made a couple of minor modifications to the recipe:
a) instead of shortening, I used 40g butter and 10g vegetable oil
b) I needed to go out after making the dough, so I wrapped them up in plastic wrap and refrigerated them for half a day before using them. It seemed to work out fine.

Have a good start to the week, and remember, I'm hosting  Muhibbah Monday round up #9, so keep the wonderful entries pouring in. The Muhibbah Malaysian Monday blog event is hosted alternately by 3 Hungry Tummies and myself. You can send your delicious entries to its(dot)sharon(at)gmail(dot)com.

18 comments:

Jen (Tastes of Home) said...

Love your golden kaya puffs anytime! YUMMM, thanks for sharing the flaky pastry recipe, I am always looking for a good one too.

Charmaine said...

Delicious... haven't had this for ages.

Janine said...

gosh this looks absolutely delicious! the flaky inside is a clincher! bookmarking to try soon :D

Hungry Dog said...

Your puffs look perfect, spirals or no! They are definitely bakery quality, if you ask me.

Beth said...

They look terrific. Wish I was there to share them with you!

Vanille said...

Your flaky pastries convinced me to give a try at making kaya ;)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Oh I know this pastry and it is wondrous stuff indeed! Your kaya puffs look gorgeous! I'm addicted to kaya-I could and do quite happily eat it by the spoonful! :D

Deeba PAB said...

Ooohhh yum yum. You know how much I enjoy a good home made pastry Shaz, and this is indulgent. I'm now very HUNGRY!!

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Can I give you a basket full of home-grown veggies to taste one of your kaya puff. They look so delicious my mouth watering.

Karen said...

Shaz, these puffs look so tempting! And your pastry dough is perfect - nice and flaky. I, too am very much inclined to try kaya after seeing these puffs! Love the pictures from your camping trip. :-)

♥LOVE2COOK♥ said...

Kaya puff...here I come to grab all of them!!!

Sorry Shaz, quite some time since I been here. Too much of chores, hardly could find time for blogwalking. Infact I forgot to email Suresh my Roti Jala for the last MMM round up. Haishhhh...

Wish you are having fun with yours too!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

I love kaya and those puffs look wonderful! Yummy.

Cheers,

Rosa

Anh said...

I recently discovered my love for kaya! (thank you malaysia!). So curious to try this!

Kitchen Flavours said...

Love that shape....puff looks extremly delectable....

grace said...

the flaky, buttery pastry is a draw by itself, but your addition of the kaya is inspired. tasty, tasty, TASTY treat! and how interesting that you subbed in some oil--nice experiment. :)

shaz said...

Thanks everyone :)

mysimplefood said...

Hi Shaz,

A bit late but better than never. Thanks for much for liking my recipe. I am so glad it turned out well for you. Since your email, it reminded me to make it again and it turned out great.

Love that we are able to share recipes thru our blogs. Take care!!

Ivy @mysimplefood

shaz said...

Thanks again Ivy, I can't wait to try the patry again, om nom nom :)