Twas brillig and the slithy toves*

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe
 
*(Jabberwocky, from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There, 1872, by Lewis Carroll)

It started with an invitation : Save the date! Don’t be late! There’s going to be a party in Wonderland for (MC Senior)’s unBirthday. Put on your party frocks and head down the rabbit hole to help her celebrate.



Milk based lollies found in Asian supermarket. Perfect eh?

It ended with the slaying of the Jabberwock.


The MCs helped make a pinata out of papier mache in the week before the party. At the end of the party, we sent all the guests out to "slay" the jabberwock. We kitted them out in a special helmet (colander) and sword (wooden spoon with a bit of foil on the spoon end). It was hilarious!

 After you successfully slay the jabberwock, you can wear it as a trophy

In between, there was a tea party with jam tarts, sugar cookies, snapdragonflies, bread and butterflies, currant buns, caterpillars (celery sticks with peanut butter, modified “ants on a log”) and humpty dumptys (hard boiled eggs).



We held the tea party outdoors. I don't usually do too much decorating but I've seen these pom-pom flowers on lots of blogs lately, and found a great tutorial here (Martha Stewart). They were so simple to make. I wired them onto some thin branches I'd save from pruning a shrub in the garden)






A sheet of muslin over the top acted as a canopy. I bought muslin (cheesecloth) because I figured I could always reuse it in the kitchen. Each child had a tea cup they could use then take home. I scoured op-shops (charity shops) for tea-ups in the lead up to the party. 







 Snapdragonflies - in the book, a snapdragonfly is described as an insect having the body of a plum pudding and a flaming raisin for a head. I made chocolate cake balls, decorated to look like puddings, used flaked almonds for wings, and a chocolate coated raisin for the head.


They made mad hats, played croquet, and various other “teacup” games. (There are some great ideas at this website).


Wanna play? A cardboard tube (from a roll of brown paper), an old sock stuffed with newspaper and coloured card make a great croquet mallet.

Can't be seen from this angle but the "hoops" are card men, bending over backwards. The ball is an old tennis ball with a face and hedgehog spikes drawn on.




To finish it all off, we had cake.


 Cake 


 and Cards

and dormouse




The mad hatter attended of course!



And just like that, my little baby is now an eight year old. I know it’s a cliche, but it really does go too quickly.

17 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

Wow what an amazing tea party! I love the playing card shortbread and that pink flamingo croquet mallet is genius :)

Beth said...

What an unbelievable party! I used to have fun throwing my girls' birthday parties, but this is over the top fabulous! I love the cake, the dormouse, the card cookies. Next time will you invite me?

Hungry Dog said...

Happy birthday to MC Senior!! Looks like a fantastic party. What a wonderful mom you are. Those card cookies, the cake...truly amazing. Nice job, shaz!

Vanille said...

It looks like everyone had a lot of fun ! I love the helmet/colander ;)
Your girls are spoilt ! The sweets and the decoration are all lovely !

Heavenly Housewife said...

What a fun party! THis looks awesome. I am so impressed by that beautiful cake, you are truly an artist.
*kisses* HH
p.s. should i send this post to my mom? all she ever made me was a betty crocker cake from a box

shaz said...

Helen (Grab Your Fork) - thank you :) The cards are actually sugar cookies, wasn't going to "waste" shortbread on kids ah ha ha.

Beth - of course you can have an invite :) I love parties, can't help myself.


Hungry Dog - aw thank you, the girls just get so excited by their parties, they talk about it the whole year.

Vanille - cheers. I was laughing so hard at everyone's attempts to hit the pinata with one hand while holding the colander on their head with another. I'm glad we had the colander, one little girl actually managed to whack the colander with the spoon! Oops :)

Heavenly Housewife - aw, HH I'm sure your mum's cakes were made with lots of love.

chocolatesuze said...

everything looks fantastic! im just dying at your awesome planning and decorating esp love the flamingo croquet mallet and card biccies!

tina_bakes said...

Oh Shaz!! everything is soo wonderful - i love the card cookies, the cards, the cake...the evrything!!

My daughter is turning 10 next month and have requested a wacky-themed birthday party. not a girly-girl this one. your post is an inspiration and will definitely check out the link you recommended. Thanks!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Aww I love this party and everything looks so theme perfect! It must have taken you so long to put this together but I bet that she will remember this birthday so, so fondly :D

pixelhazard said...

How rediculously perfect, and you bought white rabbit lollies...so yum. Takes me back to school

Bright Green Laces

grace said...

what a TERRIFIC theme! i just watched the johnny depp version and fell in love with the story (and mr depp) all over again. fun post, shaz!

Kitchen Butterfly said...

What genius. I love the theme......and all the edible representations. I love the cake. My dream is to cover a cake with fondant (a recent addiction/crush on cake boss I think). Have a blessed weekend and birthday wishes to your 8 year old!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cake is terrific and the cookies are delightful! A great party.

Cheers,

Rosa

pierre said...

when i see your photos I wnat to have sun !!!pierre

adriene said...

happy belated birthday MC senior!

shaz said...

chocolatesuze - thank you :)

tina_bakes - have fun!

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella - actually, it didn't take too long at all. A lot of the food was stuff I could either make ahead or do really quickly on the day. The cake took the longest time, but then again, all my decorated cakes do, so I'd planned for that.

pixelhazard - ha ha, i know. I hadn't eaten a white rabbit lolly since I was in school :)

grace - that Mr. Depp is sure a delish dish isn't he ;)

Kitchen Butterfly - than you Oz. Not sure it deserves the genius tag though. We all had lots of fun though.

Rosa's Yummy Yums - thank you.

pierre - I'm enjoying it while I can because soon it will be your turn to have the sun :)

adriene - thank you aunty :)

Sasa said...

That's the cutest party ever! I used to eat those white rabbit candies all the time as a kid too, they're so moreish ^_^