Back from Malaysia and it's Monday!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Hi all, what have I missed?

I'm glad to be back, though not too happy about the weather - going from 36˚C to 10˚C can be a bit of a shock to the system!

This is just a quick post to say hi, and I'd like to share some cake with you on the happy occassion of my baby brother's wedding.  If you remember the cupcake trials from a few weeks back, this is the project I was hinting at.

Enjoy the pics (sorry, not all of them are very sharp), and once I've sorted my thoughts and the gazillion photos from my trip, I'll be back with more stories. Next Monday I'll fill you in on the Malaysian style wedding banquet.


Congratulations again baby bro.

 My aunty kindly lent me the use of her kitchen, oven and baking utensils. I was also ably assisted by a merry band of helpers - thanks everyone!

I usually rely on my digital scales, but was completely smitten by this old-fashioned set of scales. Thank goodness my recipe had  metric, imperial and cup measures!


A wet kitchen . Malaysian households usually have a wet and dry kitchen area. All the messy cooking tasks are performed here in the wet kitchen, which is usually situated outdoors or is semi-open.

 Sustenance for the hungry baker - Rojak Buah (Malaysian Fruit Salad)

 Char Kway Teow (Fried Rice Noodles with the secret ingredient of cockles)

 Curry Noodles / Laksa

 Finished product

 Extra batter meant a bonus mini-cake

 The MC's were thrilled to be flower girls. That's my Mummy Skewer and Daddy Skewer behind them.



Thanks for all your comments while I was away, have a great week!

18 comments:

Hungry Dog said...

Welcome back, shaz! The cupcakes and cake are GORGEOUS. Of course! And the little girls are adorable. Glad you had a great time, can't wait to hear more about your trip!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) said...

Welcome back, Shaz!!! Glad you had a great holiday and finally get to see the wedding cupcakes! Gorgeous little girls and Malaysian food :)

mashi said...

The mini cake looks fantastic, beautifully decorated. So glad you had extra batter. Cupcakes look fantastic too x

pierre said...

welcome back !!
cupcakes are scruptious !! bravo ! Pierre de paris

grace said...

when you say you want to share some cake with us, i REALLY wish you didn't mean through pictures. i want the real thing! :)

shaz said...

Thanks Hungry Dog, we had a lovely time

Cheers Ellie - I tried not to eat the same thing twice ;P

Thanks Mashi, it was handy to have the extra batter - there was some chocolate batter and some vanilla batter, so I made a marbled cake.

Thanks Pierre, great to be back

Oh Grace, one day I really hope to be able to share cake with you :)

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Wow, I'm SO impressed by your cupcakes! And you made that extra cake too? Absolutely brilliant and professional work Shaz! He must have been very chuffed :D

foodwink said...

Your rojak, char kuey teow and laksa make me really hungry now .. hmmm .. looking forward to your Msia post

BTW that antique scale is such a classic!

Maria said...

Beautiful cakes Shaz!

Juliana said...

Welcome back Shaz, the pictures are awesome :-)

Vanille said...

The cakes are really cute but not as much as your little girls !

Anh said...

Welcome back! :) And the cakes are sooo nice and lovely! And that scales are so VINTAGE lol

Marcellina said...

I was wondering where you had been! I can't wait for the wedding banquet write up! These photos are great - the scales, the kitchen, the food, the cupcakes... and was that oven on the bench? Everything a feast for the senses!

3 hungry tummies said...

Welcome back Shaz! Can't wait for your holidays' photos!
Must be so much fun at that wedding!

Heavenly Housewife said...

Welcome back home! The cakes are absolutely lovely, you are so talented!!!
*kisses* HH

shaz said...

Thanks everyone :)

shaz said...

ps Marcellina - yes, that's the oven. Many older Malaysian houses / apartments don't have built in ovens. I used to bake with a dual microwave/convection oven, and at one stage when I moved out of home, with a tiny oven barely bigger than those toaster thingys. (Still managed to bake a chicken in it thoguh).

dessert girl said...

That scale is adorable! It makes me want to go to Ebay right now and try to find one!