Riffing on Rhubarb

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Remember my rhubarb epiphany? Well, I’ve been making up for lost time. Brought another bunch home from the markets last week – the largest one I could find. The container of stewed rhubarb sat prominently in the fridge, getting dipped into at least once a day. (Stewed rhubarb keeps for about 4 to 5 days).
How can I not love something as beautiful as this? 

I discovered that my favourite way of eating rhubarb was to spoon a little over some greek yoghurt. This led me to think about ways of “improving” on things. Which was how my Greek Yoghurt and Rhubarb “Panna Cotta” with Ginger Syrup came about (recipe below). Technically I’m not sure if it could be called a panna cotta because there was no cream in it, but the method is similar.

Greek yoghurt panna cotta with rhubarb and ginger syrup
 
After the “Panna Cotta” had disappeared, I remembered the sugar cookie dough still in the freezer from our Father’s Day project. I used the dough to make little tart bases by cutting out circles using a fluted cutter, then baked them in muffin pans. I probably should have weighed the dough down because they puffed up a little. This didn’t matter too much once the tarts were filled – the bumpy pastry wasn’t as noticeable.

The tarts cases were filled with a simple mascarpone cream (I mixed together mascarpone and a bit of sugar to sweeten). Topped with the rhubarb, it made for a very tasty afternoon tea.



Perfect for when unexpected “guests” drop in. Isn’t he/she cute?





Looking for a spot of afternoon tea (get it? spot?)



Greek yoghurt panna cotta with rhubarb and ginger syrup


Ginger Syrup
½ cup sugar
1 cup water
small piece of ginger, chopped

Boil all the ingredients gently until syrup has reduced to your liking. This ratio makes for a very light syrup, but if you like it thicker, add more sugar or boil for longer.

Strain through sieve to remove ginger pieces.

Set aside to cool.

Greek yoghurt “panna cotta”
250 ml milk
250 ml Greek yoghurt (unsweetened) whisked lightly until smooth
3 heaped tablespoons sugar (adjust to taste)
Small piece of ginger (about 2 cm long) – peeled but left whole
2 gelatin leaves (or enough gelatin powder to set 500ml liquid)
Stewed rhubarb (or other soft fruit)


Lightly oil four small moulds (I used 200ml custard pots).

Carefully put spoonfuls of rhubarb into the bottom of each mould, then set aside or refrigerate until needed.

Soak gelatin leaves in cold water for five minutes or until soft, then drain.

Place the ginger, sugar and milk into a saucepan and stir over low heat until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to just below boiling point (when small bubbles appear around the edge of the saucepan) then remove from heat. Remove the ginger and stir in the softened gelatin until dissolved.

Set aside for a minute or two, then pour the warm milk mixture into the yoghurt and stir with a whisk to make sure everything is blended well.

Pour slowly into prepared moulds, making sure not to “disturb” the rhubarb layer. Refrigerate until set. Dip briefly in hot water to unmould and serve with the ginger syrup.

Best eaten on the day that it is made. The texture of this “panna cotta” is actually a bit denser than the cream version – which is to be expected from using youghurt.

If you prefer a stronger ginger flavour, chop or crush the ginger before adding to the milk, then strain through sieve before proceeding with the other steps.

13 comments:

TasteHongKong said...

Nice idea again.

shaz said...

Thanks TasteHongKong :)

Megan@Feasting on Art said...

How cute is that photo with the little ladybug!?

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Those panna cotta and tartletts look so good! I'm drooling...

Cheers,

Rosa

Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said...

Look at that rubied rhubarb! It's just stunning against the pale white of the pannacotta :)

Irina @ PastryPal said...

I like the way you made it an "upside down" panna cotta by packing the fruit in with the mold. I've been hearing how good greek yogurt is with rhubarb and wish i could try it, but rhubarb season is totally over here. Next season...

Jennifer said...

I LOVE rhubarb and these little tarts are just perfect!!

Elizabeth said...

Looks absolutely delicious!

Hungry Dog said...

So pretty! I love new ideas for rhubarb.

shaz said...

Cheers Megan - what a happy accident with the ladybug wandering in - I couldn't have set that shot up for the world!

Thank you very much Rosa.

Thanks Lorraine - I love rhubarb for the colour more than anything I think ;P

Hi Irina - looking forward to your rhubarb adventures next season :)

Cheers Jennifer - not sure about perfect though, they were a tad wonky but tasted fine :)

Thanks Elizabeth.

Thanks Hungry Dog - me too...I'm already wondering what else to do with it but I think the family wants a break from rhubarb for awhile

Liz said...

This sounds delicious! I am getting so inspired to try cooking with rhubarb...I love sweet-tart flavors.

colargol said...

recette très appétissante et les photos sont vraiment magnifique, le couleur de la pana cotta Avec la rubarbe, barvo vraiment

shaz said...

Cheers LIz

Merci Colargol :)